Thursday, July 23, 2009

Rice Krispie Treats

For us in North America, most of us grew up on Rice Krispie® Treats and often it is one of the first things kids learn to make on their own. Here in Argentina, Rice Krispies® are not on the market (but they do have something similar available in some health food stores, nor were the gigantic bags of plain white marshmallows, until very recently). After gifts of the two main ingredients; a ginormous bag of miniature marshmallows from Canada, and a box of Rice Krispies® from Boston, I was able to concoct a batch of my favourite childhood treat last night. Señor Capone shared one with a colleague this morning, and said colleague now thinks I am this amazing chef and my website should be highly promoted (imagine my mother keeling over with laughter rolling on the floor here.)


Ingredients:

1/4 cup butter
6 cups marshmallows
8 cups Rice Krispies®
1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract


Directions:



Melt the butter in a large pot over low-medium heat, and add the marshmallows, stirring the mixture until the marshmallows soften then melt. Add the vanilla stirring it in well. Turn off the heat and add the Rice Krispies® stirring until the cereal is well coated with marshmallow goo. Pour into a lightly greased pan or tray and pat down gently with hands. Let set for a few minutes, cut and eat!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I was just thinking of Rice Krispie Treats the other day. Yummy. I've never seen marshmallows here in Necochea, so unfortunately I can't fulfill my craving.

Do they go well with mate? ;)

Holly said...

Probably, but we had them as a late night snack. You can stock up on the marshmallows when you visit BA. Walmart brought in a bunch, under their own brand. 14 pesos a bag!